too much typing—since 2003

9.13.2007

Jane Espenson explains it all

Via Fluxblog, ex-Buffy and Gilmore Girls writer Jane Espenson analyzes a spate of not getting it regarding the sorry not all that funny joke Sarah Silverman made at Britney Spears' expense. (BTW: if Britney was "fat," I'm the Pope.)

Syntactic reanalysis: it's not just for breakfast any more. I do wish, though, she'd included as an example one of my favorites of this type - the "punchline" to "Lola": "Well I'm not the world's most masculine man, but I know what I am, and I'm glad I'm a man - and so's Lola."

2 comments:

Joe said...

Actually, you're sort of guilty of the same thing Jane's targets are. The "Lola" line is "I know what I am, and what I am is a man/And so is Lola". While there's not as much of a disparity as in the examples Jane uses, well, it *is* different - not as much emphasis on heterosexuality.

Matthew said...

Meh. The Silverman stuff was so unfunny I've ruined all chances of my wife letting me rent her movie.