too much typing—since 2003

12.14.2006

subtraction and division

Oh man do I feel sorry for math teachers...



The most pathetic aspect of this whole thing is the 7,392 comments...of which half are from the same guy who still cannot get it right.

Realistically, though: what the hell is Verizon doing specifying its rates with such a bizarre number (.002 dollars or .002 cents)? Clearly, they meant to specify ".002 dollars"...but why not say "two-tenths of a cent per kb" - or better, "5 kb per penny"?

On another note entirely: having posted "Alone Again (Naturally)" a few weeks back, I didn't notice then an odd aspect of the lyrics - for a pop song, they're extremely enjambed. In fact, most verses are a single, lengthy sentence. Here they are, written out as prose to illustrate:

In a little while from now, if I'm not feeling any less sour, I promised myself to treat myself and visit a nearby tower, and climbing to the top, will throw myself off in an effort to make it clear to whoever what it's like when you're shattered, left standing in the lurch, at a church where people're saying, "My God that's tough, she stood him up - no point in us remaining...may as well go home" - as I did, on my own, alone again, naturally.

To think that only yesterday, I was cheerful, bright, and gay, looking forward to - but who wouldn't do - the role I was about to play; but as if to knock me down, reality came around and, without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces, leaving me to doubt all about God and his mercy, for if he really does exist, why did he desert me in my hour of need? I truly am indeed, alone again, naturally.

It seems to me that there are more hearts broken in the world that can't be mended left unattended: What do we do? What do we do?

Now looking back over the years, and whatever else that appears, I remember I cried when my father died, never wishing to have cried the tears; and at sixty-five years old, my mother, God rest her soul, couldn't understand why the only man she had ever loved had been taken leaving her to start with a heart so badly broken. Despite encouragement from me, no words were ever spoken, and when she passed away, I cried and cried all day: alone again, naturally.


Somehow, seeing it like this, I imagine it spoken rapidly aloud in the manner of one of Eric Idle's characters...

No comments: