too much typing—since 2003

10.02.2005

meta-girl last night...

You will note that I've added a notice to the site indicating that links will open in a new window. Over at the digs of the mysterious Summervillain, there's a discussion on this very issue, which spurred me to add that notice. If for whatever reason you want links to open in this very window, well, I'm sure you know how to make that happen, too.

Also: my apologies for adding one of those "can you read the wacky hula-dancing nonsense text?" doohickeys to the comments area...but I've been spambombed recently with dorks claiming to offer me guitar lessons (maybe they listened to the stellar slide work on "Monkey Typing Pool"), restore my sex life to the way it used to be (these people clearly don't know me), or introduce me to Paris Hilton's jeweller. If anyone for whatever reason cannot use that feature, you probably can still figure out how to e-mail me.

(Next step: commentors - not to be confused with dementors - will have to flip the fish I've placed atop their nose up into the air and then catch it in their mouth.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you add that test (called a Turing) via a Blogspot mechanism or with your own code?

2fs said...

Just a Blogspot mechanism. I lack the necessaries to write me own code. "Why it's nothing but simple English head code. Any schoolboy could catch it!"

Anonymous said...

One technical term for the hula-dancing text is actually CAPTCHA, which is a Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart.

It seems like a fair idea as opposed to outright censorship of spæm. After all, "spæm" is subjective. Maybe sometimes a random idea about guitar lessons will break you out of the rut of all that "intended" communication you were getting.

A nasty aspect is that many of the same mechanisms that enable automation for spæmming are useful for people who are handicapped. So CAPTCHAs have been evolving to assist the physically disabled. But advances in browser technology cripple the platform older sites expected: if a site legitimately used pop-ups and everyone has a pop-up-killer, whoever designed the site might seem retærded!

So who knows, maybe the stars are blind, after all. Probably worth asking the Jeweler to find out...

"and you shouldn't even care, about the filters in the air, and the crooked stairs / The time has come to Push the button" - Galvanize